Artist Guy Laramee sculpts complex miniature landscapes from books. His latest series was inspired by the tsunami in Japan last year, followed two days later by the death of his mother.
Laramee has turned this Japanese dictionary into a piece titled “In Advance of a Broken Land”.
Japanese telecom NTT Docomo released this gorgeous advertisement for a new, wood-encased mobile phone (which itself is gorgeous). Watch and be amazed.
Via Boing Boing.
Back-dated and cross-posted from Facebook, this is my list of 15 movies that will “always stick with me.”
- Laputa: Castle in the Sky (Hayao Miyazaki)
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Hayao Miyazaki)
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick)
- Blade Runner (Ridley Scott)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (George Lucas)
- Henry V (Kenneth Branagh)
- 1984 (Michael Radford)
- Dreams (Akira Kurosawa)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Peter Jackson)
- Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón)
- Stranger Than Fiction (Marc Forster)
- Cloverfield (Matt Reeves / J.J. Abrams)
- Wall-E (Andrew Stanton)
- District 9 (Neill Blomkamp / Peter Jackson)
- Where the Wild Things Are trailer (Spike Jonze)
What’s a trailer doing in an all-time list of favorite movies? Because it’s the single best one and a half minutes of movie-making I’ve ever seen. The actual movie can only be a disappointment…